Wednesday 19 October 2011

Lucky (me living in) Leeds

Leeds is a great place to spend the festive season and living so close to such festive spirit is always quite heartening.


Shopping here is simply a must for so many northerners with visitors descending on the quaint Christkindelmarket in thousands every year. On top of that Leeds also boasts the Corn Exchange, Victoria Quarter, Thornton & Queens Arcades and that's without considering the regular high street!


As well as shopping Leeds can compete for a cultural Christmas too as it has the WYPH and The Grand who both put on spectacular Christmas performances of pantomime, opera,ballet and theatre. Then there's the annual Mayors Christmas Carol concert which is so much fun and everyone gets involved singing along.


Phew-ee I am almost out of steam and I've not even mentioned the carol singing and brass bands in the streets, decorating of Temple Newsam, City Varieties festive offerings, craft and design shows at Kirkstall Abbey and Harewood House with it's impressive line up of festive events.


It's strange because generally (as most people who know me will confirm) I am not a massive fan of Leeds as I prefer cities that have sentimental value attached to them like Liverpool and towns like Northallerton. However, at Christmas, I genuinely do love Leeds for throwing itself into the festive spirit with both feet and successfully pulling of a varied programme of exciting and engaging events. 


So... Leeds, I salute you Sir!

No comments:

Post a Comment